Friday, September 2, 2011

Foundation Reminders

Last week Soda attended his first agility class here in OK. It was a pretty good class! I really appreciated our instructor noting Soda's speed changes. I firmly believe his slowing down with  my front crosses is because I am late. If I do a lead out pivot he flies right through. If I do a rear cross, he blasts away.

The other thing I have been working on is Soda's difficulty going into the weave poles at speed. Someone wisely noted to me that he has to throw his back end to do that and thus misses his next set of poles. I want to set him up and get some video so I can study the difference of pushing him in at speed and letting him ease up and increase his speed in the weaves.

I'm not too focused on Soda's next trial. It is on dirt which is a tough surface for him sometimes. It is also AKC which means we have a lot more time. I am trying to focus on his USDAA trial the end of October. I've been choking a bit on Soda's P2 runs. I want to see us having some Q success and a relaxed mama!

Which brings us to the title of this piece - remembering our foundations work! Namely focus forward. I ran both dogs last week in practice. Both of my dogs take their line. I can do lead out pivots with both dogs. I noticed quite a few dogs in our class didn't have start line skills and definitely did not have focus forward. Anybody doing agility, I highly HIGHLY recommend going through Greg Derrett's Foundation work.

No comments:

Post a Comment