Monday, September 5, 2011

Click!

Of course I used the clicker for choose to heel with Roo...and in the next week will pull it back out to refine his understanding of heel position (he's slightly forging with right turns). But what about those older dogs who know how to heel? Don't forget about your clicker for them.

Soda got to heel with the clicker outside today! We clicked for perfect stationary heel position. We clicked for lovely attention. I decided I should do this more often. I think as a trainer, I've grown somewhat complacent with things my dog "knows". All behaviors will get sloppy if they do not get occasional feedback. I know I've been a bit lazy with Soda, because he "knows". I think our heeling and finishes would be much more crisp if I focused on giving Soda clear feedback more often.

The brilliance of the clicker is the precision of the feedback. No matter how great your voice marker is (and I'm not bad), the click is more distinct for most dogs. Don't forget about that clicker! And more importantly, if you are having a struggle, don't forget to bring your clicker out to help your dog. This is all about providing your dog with information so they can succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment