Monday, September 19, 2011

Positive Dumbbell

Roo's very own dumbbell arrived today. I've toyed with the basics of free shaping a retrieve with one of Soda's dumbbells. But now this one is all about Roo! Roo's dumbbell is bigger and sturdier than Sodie's little toothpick dumbbells. Roo is a bigger dog and harder on his toys. I wanted Roo to have something more substantial than the tiny wooden dumbbells, but lighter and smaller than the big plastic one I have.

So today was the introduction to the hold behavior. The important thing to remember is to allow the dog to take the dumbbell of their own volition. If you are going to commit to a positive retrieve, you will never physically force the dumbbell into the dog's mouth. Before starting the hold, my dog must willingly take the dumbbell off the ground and have that on the a cue. Roo will willingly (quite enthusiastically) take a dead dumbbell (one just laying on the floor) or one that is thrown.

For little dogs I sit on a short stool. For big dogs I sit on the couch or in a chair. You want to sit with your legs open so the dog can sit right in front of you. I ask the dog to sit close to me.

Now I offer the dumbbell. And relax, smile, and wait. Some encouraging words are always helpful. I won't say "take it" until my dog is consistently offering to take it from my hand in this position.

Typically the dog will take it and spit it back out. That's what they've been going with shaping the retrieve. Depending on the dog, you can either wait for the dog to hold onto the dumbbell for a touch longer, or you can gentle help things. My dogs are very use to me petting their head, messing in their mouths, and rubbing their chins. For Roo, I gave a gentle chin rub which encouraged him to hold on for a moment. I do not use the clicker for this because I am usually using both my hands to hold the dumbbell. I use a verbal marker, "yes" followed by "good hold it'. If gentle help such as this is not comfortable for your dog, then do not do it. You do not want to add any displeasure to the dumbbell.

Keep is short. Get 5 or 6 very brief repetitions in. Then leave it be for the day.

Roo spent his entire short session wagging his tail and getting in my face. He had a good time.

The stationary work should include the dog reaching upwards, to each side, and downwards for the take portion. Once I teach a stationary take it, hold, out with me sitting down, then I will combine this with dead and active retrieves.

I tossed the dumbbell a couple of times for Roo after. He had a grand time!

No comments:

Post a Comment