Thursday, August 25, 2011

When things come together - heeling concepts

I recently decided to work on some heeling with Roo. I teach heeling in two parts:
1. Choose to heel in motion
2. Stationary heel position
The first part I do both on and off leash (so we set the dog up not to have issues going off leash later). I use the clicker at first. I make sure to only do straight lines or circles - no turns as the dog has not learned the footwork for that yet. As soon as the dog is offering the behavior readily, I get rid of the clicker and use a voice marker. Then I put it on a variable schedule of reinforcement so the dog gets a toy tossed, a treat, or praise. I also add the word heel at this point (right before the dog hits heel position). So, what it turns into is I start walking, the dog heads for heel, "heel", a couple steps, marker, reward. I increase my criteria (number of steps at heel) very quickly.
Stationary heel I either teach with a lure or shape with the clicker. For Roo, I used a lure (Soda was shaped). For my little dogs I teach a flip finish (finish left) first. One of the criteria it is important to take notice of is how long the dog sits in heel until you reward. You have to increase this time quickly - if the dog knows "wait" or a similar command, you can use that at first. It is important the dog learn to sit and wait in that position until otherwise told. I do not teach the other finish until my dog is heeling in motion with auto-sits.

What I love about using these methods, it that the dog quickly combines both pieces of heeling to do automatic sits. I think of that sit like a stationary cue in agility - I stop, the dog should come in to me. Roo is now doing figure 8s and fasts. He has already learned about turns. Next up will be left and right turns. I find the speed up on the outside, slow on the inside of figure 8s and about turns set the dog up for fast, slow, and other turns.

I'm having fun teaching these basics with Roo!

No comments:

Post a Comment